Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Dog Safety and Yarn | Posh Pooch Designs

Dog Safety and Yarn
By Sara Sach of   Posh Pooch Designs

I was asked this question this week, 
"Is it safe to give Puppies toys that are made of yarn?
 Which yarn is best?"

So I thought Dog Safety and Yarn would be a great thing to discuss in Our Live Video Chat this week.
A Puppy is like a human baby.

They are curious and love to put things in their mouth.

If its not safe for a baby, then its probably not

safe for a puppy.


You can see this video on my Youtube channel at this LINK



When crocheting or making toys and clothes for your puppies:

1.  Never use buttons, snaps, or beads.
These are choke hazards. Puppies love to chew and will chew these off and try
 to swallow them.

2. Never give a toy with a squeaker  in it to puppies.
Dog Bone Toys

I make woobies for my dogs, but never with a squeaker. 
They will rip it apart till they get the squeaker out,
 and try to swallow it.
That squeaker can get caught in their intestines
 and they can die, or it will have to be 
surgically removed.
woobies

3. Never Give a puppy loose yarn or string, 
or toys with loose yarn or string.

The string can be a choking hazard or it can get swallowed 
and again get caught in their intestines.
Pull Tug toy

4. When Crocheting or Knitting, many Small Dogs
 are allergic to Wool, and dyes and chemicals
 used to color the wool. Cotton is ok, But Acrylic is best.

I discovered this with my Maximo, the white Chihuahua, 
He has very sensitive skin and turns red
 from contact with wool. So I began to find other yarns,
 to use for his clothing.
My Favorite is I Love This Yarn! by Hobby Lobby.
It is soft, durable and washable.


I Love To design and make things for my dogs and I try to be safe.
And wanted to pass on a few things I have learned along the way.

I hope this was helpful and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Oh, and all my Free Patterns for Dog toys 
can be found on this LINK


No comments: